Sweet tea turkey brine
Although it requires advance planning, brining a turkey before cooking can help add moisture so that your bird is juicy and flavorful come meal time. For a new twist on a holiday classic, give this sweet tea turkey brine a try.
Sweet Tea Turkey Brine
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes per pound
- 1 gallon sweet tea
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 3 large sweet onions, quartered
- 4 lemons, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 10 cups ice
- 1 turkey
- In large stock pot over medium heat, combine tea and kosher salt. Stir frequently until salt is dissolved. Add onion, lemon, garlic and rosemary. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When brine has cooled, pour into food-grade, 5-gallon food-grade container. Stir in ice.
- Wash and dry turkey. Remove innards. Place turkey, cavity-side up, into brine, making sure the entire bird is submerged (if necessary, make additional brine solution). Cover and place bucket in refrigerator overnight.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Remove turkey from brine, draining excess, and pat dry. Discard excess brine.
- Cook turkey 15-20 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature reaches 165° F on instant-read thermometer, reserving drippings for gravy.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images