With fresh broccoli, chicken, and melted cheese, this whole-wheat pasta dish is bright, fun and sure to please.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes six 1 ½-cup servings
3 cups penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (12 oz)
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup cooked diced chicken, ½” pieces (4 oz)
1 ½ cups fat-free half and half
1 tbsp enriched all-purpose flour
1/8 cup cow-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp falt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)
½ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded (2 oz)
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually
stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10
minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss
pasta with ½ teaspoon garlic.
3. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil.
Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well.
Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
4. Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole
dish (about 8” x 11”) coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Add chicken. Mix well.
5. In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup half and half with
flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
6. In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper,
and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half
and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce
will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
8. Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350 °F
for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F
or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer
to check the
Nutrition facts, per serving: Calories 300, Protein 19 g, Carbohydrate 44 g, Dietary Fiber 6 g, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 26 mg, Vitamin A 618 IU (78 RAE), Vitamin C 17 mg, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 231 mg, Sodium 418 mg