Imaging and Radiology
When your doctor needs to see inside your body to detect, diagnose or treat your condition, turn to the imaging specialists at Tidelands Health. Both Tidelands Georgetown Memorial Hospital and Tidelands Waccamaw Community Hospital hold accreditations from the American College of Radiology, which means you’ll benefit from highly skilled radiologists, top-quality imaging equipment and strict measures to help ensure your safety.
Advanced Imaging Services
At Tidelands Health, you can stay close to home while taking advantage of some of the most sophisticated imaging technology available in health care. Your physician may recommend:
- Bone density testing to measure the strength of your bones and determine your risk for osteoporosis
- Computed Tomography – or CT
- 64-slice CT – Offers precise views of moving organs, such as your heart, and helps your doctor diagnose conditions at earlier stages, when treatment benefits you the most
- Low-dose CT lung cancer screenings
- CT-guided biopsies
- Breast imaging services, such as
- Magnetic resonance imaging – or MRI
- 3T MRI – An advanced imaging tool for producing extremely detailed images, and you'll find the only 3T MRI in the region at Tidelands Health
- 1.5T MRI – Creates quality images that assist your doctor in making a diagnosis
- Open-bore MRI – Includes a wide opening that helps you feel comfortable during the scan
- MR anthrography
- Nuclear medicine scans, including positron emission tomography – or PET, which helps doctors discover cancer in your body and assess brain and heart conditions
Heart and vascular procedures, including nuclear stress tests and vascular ultrasounds that allow identification of cardiovascular conditions
How healthy is your heart? Find out with Heart Scan.
- Ultrasound-guided procedures
- Digital X-ray, which provides images promptly and minimizes your radiation exposure
Powerful 3T MRI
In the Tidelands Imaging Center at Tidelands Waccamaw Community Hospital, take advantage of our region's only 3T MRI, the most powerful medical imaging tool of its kind. Our scanner’s high-definition views of your brain, tissue, joints, heart and blood vessels help your doctor precisely and quickly diagnose your condition. That means you get the right treatment as early as possible, when it’s most effective.
During the scan, you’ll place part of your body in a short tunnel with a wide opening designed for your comfort. In our region, you’ll find this imaging technology only at Tidelands Health.
Preparing for Your Procedure
When you schedule your imaging procedure with us, we'll give you detailed preparation information. You’ll get instructions about matters such as what to eat before your exam and what to wear when you arrive at the hospital or imaging center.
Gentle Imaging for Children
A CT scan helps a doctor diagnose and treat your child’s condition, but children are more sensitive to the procedure’s radiation than adults. That’s why Tidelands Health physicians follow strict guidelines to limit your child’s radiation exposure.