Heart Services and Treatments
When you choose Tidelands Health for heart care, you’ll benefit from specialists who understand your unique needs, give clear answers to your questions and fully explain your recommended treatment. We stay in touch with your primary care physician to make sure you get seamless, coordinated care from diagnosis to recovery.
Diagnosing Your Heart Condition
Detecting a heart condition early makes it more likely your treatment will relieve your symptoms. That’s why Tidelands Health offers some of the most powerful diagnostic tools in health care. Your doctor may rely on:
- 3T MRI – Advanced, precise imaging technology found nowhere else in our region
- Echocardiography– Uses sound waves to make an image of your heart
- Stress echocardiography – Employs special medications to reveal whether your heart receives less blood than it should
- Transesophageal echocardiography – or TEE – Sends sound waves through your esophagus to create a clear picture of your heart
- Electrocardiography – or EKG – Records your heart’s electrical signals
- Exercise stress test – Measures how your heart responds to physical activity
- Holter monitoring, or ambulatory electrocardiogram – Records your heart’s rhythm
- Nuclear stress test – Shows areas of the heart that may not receive enough blood
If you're having a heart attack, you may benefit from a cardiac catheterization procedure in which a thin tube called a catheter is put into one of your blood vessels to diagnose or treat a problem with your heart, arteries or veins. If you qualify for a technique that uses radial access, your doctor will insert the catheter through your wrist. This approach minimizes your discomfort and recovery time.
Tidelands Georgetown Memorial Hospital is a fully accredited chest pain center by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. A cardiologist will carry out your treatment in the hospital's state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization lab. This room features superior technology that lets your cardiologist clearly see your heart and blood vessels and precisely perform your procedure – which helps you enjoy the best possible outcome.
Advanced Treatments for Your Heart
Rely on the skilled physicians at Tidelands Health for heart services such as:
- Cardiodefibrillator and pacemaker implantation – Places a device in your chest to regulate your heartbeat
- Cardioversion – Returns your heart’s rhythm to normal
- Emergent Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, or angioplasty, for a heart attack – Restores blood flow in blocked arteries
- Elective Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, or angioplasty, for non-emergent coronary plaque buildup – Improves blood flow in blocked arteries
- Pericardiocentesis – Removes fluid that presses on your heart
- Referrals for open-heart surgery at MUSC Health