If you have breast cancer, there’s no better place in Horry, Georgetown and Williamsburg counties to turn for care than the Tidelands Health Cancer Care Network, our region’s most comprehensive provider of cancer care.
Tidelands Heath is one of a select few health care providers in South Carolina accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers – or NAPBC. That means you’ll benefit from a broad range of services, as well as the latest treatments and clinical trials.
Find exceptional breast cancer care close to home when you choose the Tidelands Health Cancer Care Network.
Compassionate, Coordinated Care
You’ll partner with supportive specialists on your journey through breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. At every step along the road to recovery, a breast health navigator will help arrange care and answer your questions. As your personal advocate, your navigator will participate in twice-monthly meetings with a multidisciplinary team of breast health specialists who will develop your personalized treatment plan.
Diagnosing Breast Cancer
If a screening mammogram suggests you may have cancer, your physician will use advanced techniques to make a diagnosis. At Tidelands Health, you’ll benefit from minimally invasive breast biopsies available nowhere else in our region. You have access to:
- MRI-guided core needle biopsy – Detects lesions not visible through mammography or ultrasound
- Stereotactic core needle biopsy – An outpatient procedure used for abnormalities detected by mammogram
- Ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy – A quick technique performed on lesions seen with ultrasound
Your health care provider may also use fine needle aspiration, a brief procedure during which he or she will insert a needle into a tumor and remove a sample of cells for examination.
If you receive a diagnosis of cancer, you may benefit from breast-conserving therapies such as:
- Lumpectomy - Removal of the tumor and some surrounding tissue
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation – A form of radiation therapy that requires relatively few treatments and is delivered by a tiny bead inserted into your breast following a lumpectomy
- Oncoplastic surgical techniques – Reshaping the breast to improve appearance after a lumpectomy
Although we’ll explore all possible conservative treatments for your breast cancer, one or both of your breasts may need to be removed. In this case, a surgical procedure called a mastectomy can help preserve your health. At Tidelands Health, mastectomies and other breast surgeries are perform by the experienced surgeons at Tidelands Health Breast Center, our area’s only surgical practice dedicated solely to breast health.
Support and Survivorship
As you or your loved one receive treatment for cancer, a support group at Tidelands Health offers encouragement, advice and friendship. Once you complete your treatment, our survivorship program helps you stay well physically and emotionally. Check our calendar for upcoming cancer-related classes and events.