Tidelands Health and MUSC Health: Frequently Asked Questions
Tidelands Health and MUSC Health have strengthened our longtime affiliation to better meet the health and wellness needs of our region. In a first-of-its-kind relationship for both organizations, Tidelands Health and MUSC Health have joined forces to meet the health care needs of Georgetown and Horry counties, giving patients enhanced access to leading medical treatment and technologies close to home.
Why has Tidelands Health strengthened its relationship with MUSC Health?
An expanded relationship with MUSC Health is the logical next step in a long-time, positive relationship between our two organizations. Tidelands Health has long been the region’s MUSC Health affiliate, and our two health systems have previously worked together in numerous ways, including:
- The Tidelands Health Cancer Care Network, an affiliate of MUSC Health, which includes the MUSC Health Tidelands Health Radiation Therapy Center in Murrells Inlet
- MUSC Neurosciences at Tidelands Health, which provides advanced neurosurgery services from its Murrells Inlet location
- The Myrtle Beach-based Tidelands Health MUSC Family Medicine Residency Program, which provides three years of clinical training for newly graduated family medicine physicians
- The South Carolina Telehealth Alliance, which connects Tidelands Health physician offices and hospitals to MUSC Health experts via telehealth
- The REACH Stroke Network, which connects the advanced primary stroke centers at Tidelands Waccamaw Community Hospital and Tidelands Georgetown Memorial Hospital to MUSC Health
By more closely aligning with MUSC Health, a nationally recognized academic medical center, we are better positioned to grow Tidelands Health to meet the health and wellness needs of our community.
Is this a merger?
No, this is not a merger or acquisition. Tidelands Health remains an independent, locally managed health system. Our name and our leadership team are not changing. We continue to be led by a volunteer board of trustees. Our mission, “We help people live better lives through better health,” remains our foremost commitment.
Will there be any changes to my physician or care team?
The same doctors, nurses and other clinical professionals are continuing to provide care at our locations. The changes you will see are positive. This expanded relationship will mean more health care services available close to home, so patients won’t have to travel to Charleston as often for highly specialized care. Patients will benefit as we recruit additional physicians, purchase leading technology and expand clinical research – delivering increased value while controlling costs.
Will there be any insurance-related changes?
No. There will be no change to the insurance plans we accept.
Why has this happened now?
Tidelands Health is committed to meeting the health care needs of our rapidly growing region. Our expanded relationship with MUSC Health will bring new doctors, new technologies and new clinical services to the Tidelands region.